Quinoa with Candied Pomegranate and Fennel
- 2.5 cups dried quinoa
- 2 cups low sodium chicken broth
- 1 cups water
- 1-2 tablespoons fennel seed (dried)
- ½ cup walnuts chopped
- ½ cup dried/candied cranberries/pomegranates (can use fresh for a less sweet flavor and less sugar)
- 1 teaspoon dill
- Salt and pepper
- Lemon or lime juice
- Cook quinoa as follows: add dried quinoa, 2 cups of chicken broth and 1 cup of water to a pot and bring the cooking liquid to a boil. Turn down the heat to low, cover and simmer gently, until all of the liquid is absorbed, about 15 minutes. You will know when the quinoa is done because it will look like it has popped open — revealing the germ of the kernel. If the water/broth has evaporate and the quinoa does still not appear done, you can add another ½ cup of liquid until done. Once the quinoa is done, place in a large mixing bowl and fluff with a fork.
- Add chopped walnuts, dried fruit and fennel to warm quinoa. It is important to add the fennel while the quinoa is warm to release the flavor. Mix very well.
- Add salt and pepper and lemon/lime juice (your preference) to taste and mix very well.
- Top with dill and serve.
Per serving based on 12 servings: 120 calories, 1g fat, 20g carbohydrate, 3g fiber, 4g protein