Roasted Carrot and Ginger Soup
- 1 lb. carrots, peeled and chopped
- ½ lb. parsnips, peeled and chopped
- ½ large onion
- 1-2 inch piece raw ginger (depending on desired spice level)
- 1 tablespoon of light brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon of cayenne pepper
- 4 cups low-sodium vegetable broth
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Green onions for garnish
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- Peel and chop carrots, parsnips, onion, and ginger and combine in a roasting pan.
- Sprinkle with brown sugar.
- Pour 1 cup of the broth into the pan, cover with aluminum foil, and bake for 2 hours.
- Remove from oven; transfer the vegetables and broth to a large soup pot and add remaining 3 cups of broth.
- Add salt, pepper, and cayenne (depending on desired spice level).
- Bring to a boil, reduce the heat, and simmer for 15 minutes.
- Using an immersion blender, puree the soup adding more broth if necessary.
- Garnish with sliced green onions.
Recipe makes: 4 servings; each serving: 91 calories, 1g fat, 5g fiber, 1g protein