Our progress as an organization is overshadowed by the challenge that lies ahead: to control seizures in order to improve lives. Our goals are ambitious.
In the years ahead our plans include:
- Expand on a network of collaborators in clinical and basic science and industry to advance new therapies for people with epilepsy - from cannabis-based therapies to many new drugs in development to the first ever genetic-based therapy for epilepsy (Ataluren)
- Expand our efforts to understand and prevent Sudden Unexpected Death in Epilepsy (SUDEP) through our North American SUDEP Registry and numerous collaborations with investigators throughout the US, Europe and Australia.
- Scientifically study alternative therapies to determine if some can help control seizures or improve functionality in people with epilepsy.
- Advance the development and use of seizure detection devices during sleep to help prevent seizure-related deaths.
- Increase public awareness about epilepsy so that the community at large recognizes the signs of seizures and the issues people with epilepsy face.