Keto Holiday Cookies
Staying on your diet can be challenging during the holidays. All of the celebrations and sweets can be tempting, especially for our patients following one of the ketogenic diets.
This month, we dedicated our recipe to the children and adults that use diet therapy as treatment for their epilepsy. Here is a high fat, low carbohydrate ketogenic recipe for “sugar” cookies. Use festive cookie cutters and food colorings to give your cookies a holiday theme (if you are worried about synthetic ingredients in food colorings, check out some of the natural food coloring brands such as India Tree, Wild or Chocolate Craft Colors. These are just a few brands that use organic, natural ingredients). Note: this recipe is high calorie, high fat meant for use in the ketogenic diets.
- 1 cup unsalted butter (8 oz. or 2 sticks)
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 & 1/2 cups almond flour
- 1/4 cup truvia
- 1/4 teaspoon
- 1 stick of butter (4 oz.)
- 1 & 1/2 cups truvia
- Preheat oven to 400ºF.
- Cream 1/2 cup of the butter with a hand whisk or a stand mixer until smooth.
- Add the Truvia and vanilla and continue to cream until light, about 5 minutes.
- Add egg to butter mixture.
- Blend well until just combined.
- In a separate bowl sift 1 cup of the almond flour and all of the salt.
- Add to butter and egg mixture and mix until just combined. (The dough will be pretty sticky so be sure to have a lot of almond flour to spread on your work surface.)
- Chill dough for 20 to 30 minutes.
- Remove the dough from the refrigerator, flour your work surface with almond flour (you should have 1/2 cup left to use for flouring your work surface) and roll the dough out to 1/4 of an inch thickness.
- Cut out cookies with desired cookie cutter shapes and place on a lightly greased cookie sheet and bake at 400ºF for about 10 minutes or until the top of the cookies are lightly browned.
- Let the cookies cool before frosting.
- Whip the butter and the truvia with an electric mixer on med to med-high speed until light, fluffy and white in color, about 5 to 7 minutes.
- At this point if you would like to add food coloring you can, otherwise it is ready to use.
- To frost the cookies take a small off-set spatula and spread about a tablespoon of the frosting evenly over each cookie.
Recipe makes: approximately 2 dozen cookies. Serving size: 2 cookies; 290 calories, 30g fat, 2g net carbohydrate, 3.75g protein.