Warm Brussels Sprout Caesar Salad
Try this healthy and fun twist on a traditional BBQ staple: Caesar Salad.
Both Romaine and Brussels sprouts are nutrition packed, low calorie choices for the base of this guiltless Caesar salad. However, Brussels are a new twist and pack double the fiber, double the protein, 100 times the vitamin C and double the vitamin B6 that Romaine lettuce does. Caesar salad is usually a crowd favorite, but finding a Caesar dressing that won’t send your calorie intake soaring is a challenge. This dressing is a great alternative to the high calorie, bottled salad dressings or the traditional Caesar dressing recipes. Make it at a small or large gathering this summer – it’s sure to be a hit! For a meal top it with BBQ chicken breast, BBQ shrimp or BBQ steak.
- 4 cups raw brussels sprouts (shredded) *you can purchase them already shredded
- 2 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 3 garlic cloves minced
- ½ cup water
- ⅓ cup grated parmesan cheese
- ¼ cup fresh lemon juice
- 1 garlic clove
- ½ tablespoon dijon mustard
- 1 teaspoon red wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 6 tablespoon fat free greek yogurt
- Shred brussels sprouts by chopping finely or coarse chop in a food processor. You can also buy them pre-shredded, which is much quicker!
- Heat olive oil in a skillet over medium high heat, add garlic and brown lightly.
- Add water and brussels sprouts and lightly season with salt and pepper and sauté until tender but crisp about 8 minutes. Remove garlic.
- Make the dressing: In the bowl of a food processor add the cheese, the lemon juice, red wine vinegar, garlic clove, mustard (and anchovies if desired). Turn the machine on and let it run for 15 to 20 seconds. Add the oil and yogurt and let the machine run for another 15 seconds.
- Toss the dressing and the salad altogether while brussels are still warm. Top with more parmesan cheese.
Recipe makes: 4 servings; each serving: 185 calories, 13g fat, 12g carbohydrates, 5g fiber, 9g protein